Greetings GAP SBN members and followers!
Each month we’ll challenge you to incorporate a new, simple, low or no cost sustainable change in your business. Be sure to let others know what you’re doing, and challenge them to do the same! (You can start be leaving a comment describing what you’ve done below!)
For October, as the cold winds begin to blow, get ready to see some real savings in heating costs by weatherizing your business.
Here are a few actions to get you started (from our friends at Conservation Consultants, Inc. in Pittsburgh— and you can find even more great information at their website!):
- Install a programmable thermostat – to maintain temperatures when you are away from your business.
- Seal air leaks -find drafts in your building envelope and seal with caulking or insulation.
- Use drapes – to reduce drafts in the building; leave them open during the day to let the sun do some of the work.
- Repair windows – even a small crack affects the heating bill. Install weather-stripping around loose window frames.
- Install storm windows – they create another barrier between the outside and prevent moisture from collecting on the window.
- Close storm doors – same idea, for doors.
- Clean filters in your heating system – they’ll work more efficiently this way!
In the same spirit, a program in Pittsburgh, The Black and Gold City Goes Green challenges city residents to make easy, free or low-cost changes that will reduce the amount of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere. Check in with them each month to be a part of the action.
Finally, if you need further assistance, the Trail Town Outreach Corps offers free sustainability assessments to businesses in the Trail Towns. At these assessments we can help you identify money-saving strategies that are also good for the environment. Contact Elisa by phone at (724) 603-3151 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to schedule an assessment.